Thursday 15 March 2007

15th March- first steps


Well after speaking to Julie and Cas on the phone today I went to go and check out what was happening at the Irish Centre. I met Tom who seemed enthusiastic about the badge project and told me i was lucky to be in LS9! Things are pretty hectic there with St.Patricks day coming up at the weekend so we arranged to meet on Tuesady 27th at a social event at the centre.

On my way out i decided to go wandering around the area. I wanted to find the church that Tom had mentioned in our brief meeting. As i wandered i took some photographs of the surroundings. I couldn't help but notice the piles of burnt rubbish everywhere. It was whilst i was photographing a small stripey kitten amidst some rusty matress springs that I was confronted by a resident.
"Eh! Why are you taking photos here?" she asked. Her tone was defensive, maybe it was her cat. Maybe it was her matress!

I slowly walked over to her gate. She was a young girl with thick gold hoop earings in a tracksuit. "I'm doing a project on this area, i'm an artist," I replied, "so, you live here?"

"Yeah, since i was four, it's a shithole!"
"Is that your cat?"
"No the ones across the road just left it abandoned, it's pregnant"
"It's only a kitten itself"

No comments: